University of California, Riverside

Summer Sessions

Frequently Asked Questions

About Enrollment

How do I choose my courses?

The Schedule of Classes is posted online and includes individual course schedules, course descriptions, and other important information. If you need additional guidance and you are a UCR student, your assigned academic advisor can help you choose courses. You can also consult the UCR General Catalog for more help. Visiting students from other institutions, including other UC's, should contact their academic advisor at their home campus to determine which classes to take at UCR during the summer. The CNAS office maintains a small list of comparable science and math courses at the UC's at

How do I know if courses at UCR will be accepted for credit at my college/university?

In general, UC courses are transferable between UC campuses. However, it is important that all visiting students—whether attending another UC or any other school—consult their academic advisor/counselor at their home institution to determine whether or not classes at UCR will be accepted for credit towards their degree.  The UCR CNAS office maintains a small list of comparable science and math courses between the UC's at .

Can I get a copy of a specific course's syllabus?

The Summer Sessions office does not maintain course syllabus information. You may find it worthwhile to contact the academic department directly for more help. 

How many classes can I take during the summer?

Students may enroll in a maximum of 15 units. This limit may be increased based on proven academic ability and the feasibility of the student's schedule. If you are an Undergraduate UCR student and wish to take more than the maximum load, you will need to contact your assigned academic advisor so they can increase your unit load, or you can complete an Enrollment Adjustment Form (please keep in mind that this form requires the signature of an academic advisor). If you are a Graduate UCR student, you will need to contact the advisor of the Graduate Division. If you are a visiting student, it is recommended that you consult with the academic advisor/counselor at your home institution prior to completing, printing and submitting the Enrollment Adjustment Form to our office.

How do I enroll in a special studies, internship, research or other variable unit course? 

If you wish to enroll in a Special Study (190 or 290 series: researches, internships) please complete and print the Special Studies Form. The form must then be signed by the instructor in charge and the academic advisor (for BCOE and CNAS only) for the course and returned to the Summer Sessions office for processing. Special studies courses are charged per unit, just like regular courses, and are subject to the regular summer payment deadline.

Do I need to send my transcripts to UCR?

In most cases, students do not need to send transcripts to UCR, The only time you will need to submit a transcript to UCR is if you are trying to enroll in a UCR course that has a prerequisite. If this is the case, you must submit your transcript to the department that is offering the course. Please keep in mind that you must first be an active summer UCR student before your transcripts can be reviewed at UCR.  Please include your UCR ID number in your communication with the department so they can appropriately add the permission to your student record which will allow you to enroll.  

Enrollment is closed on R'Web. Can I still enroll?

Each session has a limited time frame to late add if class space permits after the R'Web online registration period closes. To enroll late, please fill out and print the Enrollment Adjustment Form, obtain the required signatures and turn the form into the Summer Sessions help desk at the HUB (Highlander Union Building). Please keep in mind that late enrollments may result in late fees. 

I am trying to enroll in a class that has linked activities (e.g., a lecture and a lab, a lecture and a discussion, etc.). How do I enroll?

You will need to add the primary course (e.g., lecture) and all of its linked activities (e.g., discussions, labs, screenings, etc.) to your Summary in R'Web Registration, and select Add from the dropdown box next to each section. Only select Submit after you have chosen Add from the dropdown box for all the linked activities; otherwise, you will receive an error. You will know that you have successfully enrolled if the course status in the Summary says Registered.

Can I enroll in courses that have overlapping schedules?

If you try to enroll in two or more courses that have a conflicting schedule, you will encounter a registration error that prevents you from successfully enrolling. However, if you must enroll in both courses, you can complete an Enrollment Adjustment Form. You will need to obtain permission (in the form of a signature) from the instructors of both affected classes.  Please keep in mind that the Summer Sessions office does not encourage students to enroll in overlapping courses unless absolutely necessary. 

Am I allowed to audit classes in summer?

No, auditing courses is not allowed in summer. 

Will I get a confirmation of enrollment?

You will not receive written confirmation of your enrollment via email or regular mail. Please log into R'Web to view your current schedule.

I was enrolled in classes, but now I have been dropped. What happened?

Course fees must be paid in full on the same business day that you enrolled. If you did not pay your fees in full, it is likely that you were dropped from some or all of your courses. 

How do I change my grading basis from a letter grade to an S/NC, or vice versa?

To change your grading basis, you will need to complete and print the Enrollment Adjustment form and submit it to our help desk at the HUB (Highlander Union Building). 

What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a course?

It is important to understand that dropping from a course and withdrawing from a course are two different actions. If you want to get a full refund of your course fees and have no record of that course on your transcript, you must drop the course by the published deadline. You cannot drop a course after this deadline. If the drop deadline has passed but you do not want to receive a grade (either a letter grade or an S/NC), you can elect to withdraw from the class. You will not receive a refund for the course, and you will receive a W on your transcript instead of a grade. To withdraw from a course, you will need to submit an Enrollment Adjustment Form to the Summer Sessions office.  

My class was canceled! Now what should I do?

If your class was canceled by the Summer Sessions office, you may enroll in another class in its place, or you may elect to receive a refund. In both cases, you will need to go to R'Web, select Registration, and drop the cancelled course (if you haven't been dropped already). If you wish to enroll in another course, you may do so and the fees you paid for the canceled course should be credited to the new course. (If you incur the $50 late fee as a result of enrolling in another course, please contact us at so we can review your account and waive the late fee, if applicable.) If you do not want to enroll in another course, simply drop the cancelled course, and a credit/refund will automatically be issued to you.

When do I pay for a waitlisted course?

You only pay for courses that you are officially enrolled in. When you add yourself to a waitlist, you are not officially enrolled. However, if you receive an email notification that a space is available and you choose to enroll, you will then be required to pay for the course on the same day that you enroll. If you do not pay for the course after you have enrolled, you may be dropped overnight, and you will have to add yourself to the waitlist again if you still need the course.

Do waitlisted courses count towards my financial aid unit requirement?

No. You must be fully enrolled in a course for it to count towards your financial aid unit requirement.

How do I get a UCR transcript?

Transcripts may be requested on R'Web or in person at the Registrar's Office. For additional details, please visit the Registrar's website.

About Fees

When are my course fees due?

If you enroll in courses on or before June 15th, your course fees will be due in full by June 15th. If you enroll in courses after June 15th, your course fees will be due in full on the same day that you enroll (or the next available business day, if enrollment takes place on a weekend or holiday). Fees can be paid in person at the Cashier's office Monday-Friday, 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm or online through R'Web until 9pm. Please be advised that failure to pay your fees in full by the applicable deadline may result in some or all of your classes being dropped. If you do not pay your fees and some or all of your courses are dropped, you are welcome to re-enroll if seats are still available in the course(s), or in alternative courses. Please be mindful, though, that you will have to pay your fees on the same day that you enroll; otherwise, you risk being dropped again. 

What are referendum fees?

The referendum fees are mandatory campus fees that were approved by ballot by the student body at UCR. They cover such services as the Recreation Center, the campus newspaper, the radio station, and more.  

I don't plan on using the Recreation Center (or another service funded by the referendum fees). Why do I have to pay for it?

There are no fee waivers for any of the referendum fees. They are all mandatory.

I withdrew from a course, but I am still being charged. Why?

A withdrawal from a course is not the same as a drop. By electing to withdraw from a course, you agree to receive a W on your transcript, and no refund will be issued for the course. The only way to have no record of the course on your transcript and to get a refund is to drop the course by the published deadline

My class was cancelled and I was charged a $50 late fee when I registered for another class in its place. Can I get the late fee waived?

Yes. Please contact us at so we can review your account and confirm that the fee should be waived.

I work at UCR. Do I qualify for a staff discount?

If you are a UC career staff employee with a non-ending employment date and you are a continuing, active student for the upcoming academic year, you are eligible for reduced Summer Sessions fees. You will need to complete the UCR Career Staff Discount Form and submit it to the Summer Sessions office for approval before the fee waiver will be applied. 

About Financial Aid 

(Please keep in mind that the Summer Sessions office can only answer general questions about financial aid. If you have a question about your specific aid package, you will need to contact the Financial Aid office directly either at or 951-827-3878.) 

Can visiting, non-UCR students get financial aid through UCR in the summer?

Only regular UCR students are eligible to receive aid from UCR. Visiting students may apply for aid through their home campus or another source, but all arrangements will need to be handled by the student, not by the UCR Financial Aid office. 

Do I have to take all my classes in a single session to qualify for financial aid?

No, you do not have to take all of your summer courses in one session. You can take advantage of any of our 8 available sessions. 

I am having trouble reaching anyone in Financial Aid. Can someone in Summer Sessions help me?

The Summer Sessions office can only answer very general questions. None of the Summer Sessions' staff are financial aid counselors, and therefore the advice we can provide is limited. 

I applied for financial aid late. How can I make sure I don't get dropped from my classes while my aid is being processed?

If you applied for aid late and you have already enrolled in classes, the only way to ensure you will not be dropped from your classes is to pay the fees out of pocket and wait to be reimbursed once your aid is ready. 

About Housing

Is housing available in summer?

Summer Housing is available. Please call (951) 827-6350 or visit for more information. Summer housing contracts are available May 16th.

If you cannot find the answer to your question on this page or anywhere else at, you can send an email to or you may call 951-827-3044.  

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Summer Sessions Information

UCR Summer Sessions
900 University Ave.
Skye Hall 361 (formerly Surge)
Riverside, CA 92521-0112

Tel: (951) 827-3044
Fax: (951) 827-7370